9 Million EasyJet Customers Have Data Stolen In Latest Breach

May 20, 2020

Around 9 million easyJet customers have had their data breached in a ‘sophisticated’ cyber-attack, the airline has announced.

Email addresses and travel details were stolen by cyber-criminals and more than 2,200 customers have also had their credit and debit card details ‘accessed’, including CVV numbers.

The ICO

easyJet informed the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office in January 2020 and they are currently investigating the breach. It wasn’t until four months later that easyJet informed its customers.

“People have a right to expect that organisations will handle their personal information securely and responsibly. When that doesn’t happen, we will investigate and take robust action where necessary,” an ICO spokesperson told the BBC.

To justify the length of time it took them to inform customers, easyJet told the BBC: “This was a highly sophisticated attacker. It took time to understand the scope of the attack and to identify who had been impacted.”

“We could only inform people once the investigation had progressed enough that we were able to identify whether any individuals have been affected, then who had been impacted and what information had been accessed.”

Why did the attack happen?

No details were shared about the nature of the attack, the motives, or the reason easyJet’s security measures did not prevent it. It was suggested that hackers were targeting ‘company intellectual property’ rather than information that could be used in identity theft, but no evidence was given to support that claim.

“We are advising customers to be cautious of any communications purporting to come from easyJet or easyJet Holidays,” it warned.

The ICO warned easyJet customers to be extra cautious of phishing attacks during its investigation period.

The effects of a data breach

Personal details can be used by cyber criminals to access bank accounts, open new accounts, and take out loans in the victims’ names. They may also use your information to make fraudulent purchases or sell on to other criminals.

Firm Update

Please be advised that we are no longer accepting claims for the easyJet data breach litigation.

We are aware that other firms are still taking on new clients, and we would recommend that you reach out to them should you still wish to bring a claim.

Thank you for your understanding.

More Press

Profile photo of Jonathan Wheeler
Pogust Goodhead appoints Jonathan Edward Wheeler as Partner and Head of Mariana Litigation 
Pogust Goodhead law firm has appointed Jonathan Edward Wheeler as a partner and Head of Mariana Litigation, adding heavyweight firepower to the team driving one of...
Read More
04 - Chief Baiara, from the Pataxó Indigenous Community, during a protest in London
‘A Victory for Justice’ as High Court rules BHP liable for dam disaster in landmark case
Historical ruling holds the mining giant liable for the Mariana dam disaster under Brazilian environmental law and the Brazilian Civil Code. The Court...
Read More
London traffic showing diesel cars
Dieselgate: High Court blocks attempts by car manufacturers to hide key documents that could show whether they cheated emissions tests 
The High Court has ruled that five car manufacturers at the centre of Dieselgate legal claims must reveal information in hundreds of documents that they...
Read More