This week, we have been speaking to the media about our important case against Bayer over their permanent contraceptive device, Essure, after we released the news that the group litigation order (GLO) was granted by a UK court.
A number of major news outlets published integral coverage highlighting the suffering that women faced after being fitted with the device.
We’re currently representing hundreds of women in the UK in their fight for justice and these brave women have shared their stories to highlight the issues they have faced, including excruciating chronic pain, abnormal bleeding, nickel poisoning, painful sexual intercourse and other debilitating symptoms.
Our client, Deborah Chalk, 39, had to have a full hysterectomy after suffering from painful symptoms for over three years:
“I really feel strongly that Bayer needs to be held accountable. Their device has left hundreds of women worldwide with years of pain and suffering. I got involved with the legal case because I just couldn’t stand to say nothing and let it go on and to raise awareness for other women who are in the same position I was.”
Victoria Wright, 42, also struggled after having the Essure coil: ‘It wasn’t straight away that I was suffering but after a while I began getting migraines, irregular bleeding and hip pain. I started looking online and found loads of women just like me. Around 2016 I had the device removed and my fallopian tubes taken out. From then on, the pain, headaches and irregular bleeding stopped. It was such a relief.”
Their stories have generated an enormous amount of interest in the media, including appearances on BBC Newsnight, BBC News and Times Radio, as well as:
- BBC News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66709076
- Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/05/two-hundred-uk-women-legal-action-essure-contraceptive-device
- Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12482107/200-women-pain-Essure-coil-sue-manufacturer-physical-mental-damage.html
- Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/contraceptive-coil-essure-legal-action-bleeding-b2405101.html
- The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drugs-giant-bayer-faces-10m-legal-test-from-uk-women-over-sterilisation-device-nv9m6b372
- Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12482869/Women-suing-contraceptive-horror-symptoms-migraines-abdominal-bleeding-hip-pain.html
- Express: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1809532/essure-contraception-legal-action
- The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8510f4f8-4bf5-11ee-ae1a-79bb7c14d872?shareToken=cb44a92d8d594dc2e05f0b4aec82551c
- Newsnight (Watch from 16:36): https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001q8bl/newsnight-bankrupt-birmingham