Over the weekend, the Pogust Goodhead team had the pleasure of joining the 2023 Brazil Forum UK held at the University of Oxford. We are proud sponsors of this event, and it was an excellent opportunity for us to engage with the participants and exchange valuable insights.
During the Forum, our Partner, Céline Barnwell, took to the stage to shed light on our firm’s impactful initiatives in Brazil. She emphasised our commitment to supporting local communities in their pursuit of justice, particularly those still suffering from the aftermath of the devastating 2015 Mariana dam disaster, Brazil’s worst ever environmental disaster.
The Forum also featured prominent Brazilians such as:
– Luís Roberto Barroso, Federal Supreme Court Minister
– Adriana Cruz, Head Judge of the 5th Federal Criminal Court in Rio de Janeiro
– Augusto de Arruda Botelho, National Secretary of Justice
– Erika Hilton, Congresswoman
– Rodrigo Augustine, President of the Brazilian Institute for the Environment and Renewable Natural Resources (Instituto Brasileiro do Meio Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais Renováveis – Ibama)
– Maiara Folly, Director and Co-founder of Plataforma CIPÓ
– & many other distinguished speakers.
The event covered pressing and relevant issues in Brazil, including tackling poverty, the environmental agenda and its international role, tax reform, and prospective solutions to the crisis in the Brazilian prison system.